Save 20% off! Join our newsletter and get 20% off right away!
gas cabinet heater

Warning on dangerous gas cabinet heaters

gas cabinet heater
gas cabinet heater

The NSW Fair Trading Commission and the Fire and Rescue NSW Commission reiterated their warning on dangerous gas cabinet heaters following a fire in Rosebay, NSW.

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said the non-compliant cabinet heaters are extremely dangerous and have been the subject of repeated recall and were banned by the agency in 2010.

The agency said, “If  you see one of these in the market place, don’t buy it.  Report it to Fair Trading on 13 32 20”

“If you already own one, stop using it immediately and call Fair Trading to provide details of the place and date of purchase. Then take it to the place of purchase for refund.

Cabinet gas heaters that do not meet Australian Standards are flawed in their design and prone to malfunction, causing them to burst in flames air . There is serious potential for loss of life using these products.

Mr Stowe said Fair Trading has requested eBay to remove the dangerous heaters from its site last  June.

The heaters had been found in local markets and offered for sale on their sites.

Fair Trading understands that the heater that caused the fire was purchased in Kogarah last year.

“Fair Trading continues to monitor web sites, markets and shops as part of its ongoing investigation into this product,” Mr Stowe said.

Fire and Rescue NSW Commissioner Greg Mullin said the heaters are extremely dangerous because they use LPG cylinders.

“LPG cylinders are not designed to be used indoors and you are putting yourself and your family at serious risk if you choose to bring them inside.” he said.

At the fire incident at Rose Bay, initial investigation showed the LPG had leaked into the unit through a hole in the hose connecting the cylinder to the cabinet heater.

“When the resident turned the heater on, it ignited the gas almost immediately.

‘The unit was destroyed and two elderly people from the neighbouring units were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.”

The residents of this unit and neighbours were very lucky not to have  sustained serious injury.