Save 20% off! Join our newsletter and get 20% off right away!

Warning – Blind Cords Can Kill

Child_safe_blinds_illustrationNSW Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe is warning families to thoroughly check homes and holiday accommodations for risks to babies and children.

Mr Stowe said the incoming school holidays and the recent death of a young child in NSW from blind cord strangulation had prompted a renewed call for accommodation audit for safety checks.

“This incoming holiday season whether you are staying in rented accommodations or wit relatives, carefully check your accommodation and refer to Fair Trading safety guidelines on blinds and curtains, available on the website www.fairtrading,,” he said.

“In seconds a child can become entangled in a curtain or blind cord.

“If a child runs and trips or plays with a cord, it can act like a noose.

“Babies can grab a nearby blind or curtain cord through a cot slot and pull it around their neck.”

One to two Australian children die each year after being strangled by blind or curtain cord.

Grieving Port Stephen parents Lauran and Clinton Mackay have offered to help NSW Fair Trading to warn others.

Last month they lost their 18 year old beloved son Jack when he accidentally wound a blind cord around his neck.

The Mackays want to help other parents and families suffering  a similar immense loss.

NSW Fair Trading Commissioner Stowe said if you have blinds or cords that were installed  prior to 2003, take steps to remove the hazards of the looped cord.

“Cut looped cords above the tassel and remove any tassel and equalise buckle.”