Save 20% off! Join our newsletter and get 20% off right away!
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)

OWWA invites students for scholarship grants in Zambo

Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)
Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philipppines – In the effort to extend as much help as possible to the OFWs, the Regional Welfare Office-IX (RWO-IX) of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) invites incoming 4th year High School students who are dependents of OFWs based in the region to apply for the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) for Academic Year 2015-2016.

OWWA-RWO IX Regional Director Hassan Gabra T. Jumdain announces that the application for the said scholarship must be as early as this month to allow more time for incoming graduates to enlist before their commencement exercises.

The EDSP, an OWWA welfare program which started in 2004 through scholarship grants, entitles the qualified OFW dependents to take any four- or five-year baccalaureate course in any CHED-accredited College or University in the Region at a maximum amount of P60,000.00 per school year (P30, 000.00 per semester).

Moreover, the agency also opens application for the Congressional Migrants Workers Scholarship Program (CMWSP) for those who desire to pursue science and technology-related degrees as identified by the Department of Science and Technology.

Qualified applicants are children of OWWA member or brother/sister of unmarried OWWA member, must be below 21 years old, Filipino citizen, must have not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course.

Interested applicants must bring the following documentary requirements to the OWWA Regional Office for processing: Two (2) sets of accomplished Application Form (available at OWWA Office or download from, health certificate (Form A), certificate of good moral character (Form B);

Certification that the applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the graduating class (Form C), applicant’s certification (Form D), parent’s certification that the applicant has no pending application for resident immigrant status or dual citizenship (Form E);

Two (2) copies of 2×2 ID pictures, proof of relationship to OWWA member (birth certificate of applicant or birth certificate of both the single OFW and the applicant-dependent and certificate of no marriage duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or Philippine Statistics Authority, if OFW is single), proof of OWWA Membership (Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Registry Division) and Form 137/High School Report Card.

For more information, interested applicants may visit OWWA Office located at 3rd Floor Goodwill Center, Major Jaldon St., Canelar, Zamboanga City or call (062) 991-2785/955-2651.

Criselda Cabangon David, a happy mother of two kids, is a full-time Sociologist at the City Government of Lucena, Quezon Province. She is currently the Managing Editor of Ang Diaryo Natin Sunday News, a weekly local community newspaper in the Philippines and an active member of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines.